Rechargeable props are gaining popularity everywhere. Not only are they better for the environment, but they're cheaper to operate since you don't have to spend money on batteries. That's the good news. The not-quite-as-good news is that to keep them running at peak performance, rechargeable things do take a little extra care. Here are some tips to keep your rechargeables bright & happy:
- Charging - Charge your props according to the manufacturer's instructions. Try not to exceed the maximum charging time and NEVER leave your props on the charger all the time unless it is specifically noted by the manufacturer. Doing so will dramatically shorten the life of the batteries.
- Cycling - Approximately once per month (more often if you use your stuff a lot), deep-cycle the batteries. To do this, simply turn your props on and let them run until they are completely dead, then charge them for the maximum stated charging time. This helps the batteries last longer and prevents them from developing a "memory" for a specific charge level.
- Use & Enjoy - If your props have been sitting for a week or so without being used, turn them on & use them! Not only will this help keep them happy, but it's good for you, too.
- Reality - Nothing lasts forever. Rechargeable batteries do have a finite number of charging cycles in them, and eventually they will lose their ability to hold a charge. Usually this takes several hundred cycles, sometimes even more. Work is being done to encourage manufacturers of rechargeable props to develop systems for battery pack replacement, but at the moment there's still some room for improvement.
How We Test Rechargeable Props
One of the dubious joys of rechargeable batteries is that they often develop a personality. Most of the time this is good, but occasionally you find some batteries that are determined to be unpleasant to work with. To help avoid this, here's how we test all rechargeable props before they leave our shop headed for you:
- We turn on everything to ensure it's working. Then we let it completely run out.
- We charge the props from zero to full (deep-cycle the batteries).
- We let them sit for 24-48 hours and turn them on again to be sure they will hold a charge.
- All props that pass the test go into stock.
- Each prop is tested again for charge & function before it is packed for shipment.
This is not a 100% guarantee that every prop will be fully charged or free of negative personality traits when you get it, but it's as close as we can get. If you have any problems with anything you buy from us, don't hesitate to contact us for technical support or warranty issues.